Monday, March 2, 2009

More rummaging

So, here i was, with the "problem" in front of me.. for reference, see the post 'Rummaging' .. my solution to it: "Work harder" .. Thats the only thing in my hands.. so i m tryin to do that..

Its funny that such a simple solution should come to me after so much thought... why didnt i naturally react to the situation in that way? Why was hard work not my first answer to the problem? I have seen many people whose first reaction would have been to work their asses off.. and i have seen all of them succeed in their efforts(may be a few exceptions where their luck failed them).. why do i not adopt that in my life? Is it a hard thing to do? or am i lazy?

I remeber this shloka

"योजनानि शतान्यपि शनै: गच्छेत पिपीलिका
अनिच्छन वैनतेयोपि पदमेकं न गच्छति "

(Forgive the errors in sanskrit as i am not used to using blogger devnagari text editing)

What this means is that 'an ant can go hundreds of miles even at her pace.. but an eagle who doesnt want to move, will not even move a foot'

Despite knowing this .. and similar quotes / examples, why was hard work not my first choice??

Is that one thing that separates animals from humans? Given choice, we tend to slack off.. animals cant do that.. they have to survive..

I will conclude this post with the words of Homer Simpson

"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel."

3 comments:

Scarecrow said...

I still don't see how working hard would improve your PIs financial situation. I don't think that's a solution. Thats just improving your chances.
But, my thinking for now is, "Go for your interests".
That's because of my fundamental problem - If I do lose interest in something, then that's the end. I just won't do it anymore.

Scarecrow said...

I still don't see how working hard would improve your PIs financial situation. I don't think that's a solution. Thats just improving your chances.
But, my thinking for now is, "Go for your interests".
That's because of my fundamental problem - If I do lose interest in something, then that's the end. I just won't do it anymore.

HellBound but Still Divine said...

Its not gonna improve my PI's fin. situation.. i cant do anything about that.. the only thing i CAN do is work hard..


If i dont work hard enough, my PI is definitely gonna favour other students.. there is no way i m gonna get into a lab by slacking off..