Monday, February 16, 2009

One fine day in the lab

A common situation in a grad student's life:

One fine morning, the weather is beautiful.. you get up on time (10am).. you say to yourself, lets get some work done in the lab for change.. you go to lab and find that your undergrad screwed up the westerns which you asked her to do and moreover, she used up all of the whole cell extract that you worked so hard to obtain.. You cant fire her cause your PI likes her... all that you can do is sing this:


Black

Sheets of empty cellulose, untouched sheets of gel,
were laid spread out before me, as her blot once did
all five eppendorfs, revolved around in her spinwin,
as the earth to the sun
and now the membrane i transfer and strip, has taken a stain.

Ooh, and all I taught her was everything
ooh i know she stained it all that she had,

and now my bitter hands, hold the western blot of what was everything
all the membranes have, all been washed in black,overexposed everything..

I go for a talk outside, i'm surrounded by thoughts of the gel
i can feel the PI screaming, ohh, why do i care?

oh and twisted eppendorfs i spin, round and round,
oooh, i m spinning..
oh how quick the chemiluminescence can fade away..

and now my bitter hands, cradle blackened film of what was everything
all the membranes have, all been washed in black,overexposed everything..


all the stain gone bad, turned my film to black,
tattooed all i see, all that i ran, all i will.. yeah yeah yeah..


I know someday you'll have a beautiful blot,
I know you'll be the author, in somebody else's paper, but why?
Why, why can't it be mine??

Aaah , Uuuh..



Forgive me Pearl Jam.. Black is one of my fav songs.. but i just couldnt resist this..

4 comments:

Scarecrow said...

Laga...Blot mein daag, chupaon kaise
Laga...Blot mein daag, chupaon kaise
Blot mein daag chupaon kaise, PI ke pass jaoon kaise
;)

shilpa said...

Hey good job!!! There should be a place you can lock those Undergrads away...ooops public forum!! haha..

Well done! I can see the frustration!

PS I like Scarecrow's lines!

AV said...

katl-e-aam kelaas gaanyaacha!

Unknown said...

I must say... you'v found a brilliant medium to vent out all ur anger, frustration and stress this way!! :P
Peace for you and Fun for us...Its like a Win-Win situation.. :)
Enjoyed every bit!!!
Just keep them coming...

P.S: I am also improving my vocab here... wat with words like chemiluminescence ... heard it first time here :) Now thats hard work man!!!! Hats off!!