Saturday, August 1, 2009

Home - in a more literary sense

I was in Richmond, CA for a week for some training. And during that week, i realized that i had finally accepted LA as my home. The whole week there, i was a bit uncomfortable, being in a new area, living in a motel. Sleep at night wasnt as great as i normally have. My flight to LA got delayed by an hour, and i was feeling something which i havent felt in a long time - desire to get back home soon. I practically ran form the gate to the airport arrivals area. And when i finally reached home, i felt a sense of security.

Its been almost a year since i moved to LA. But the sense of belonging to my current apartment wasnt quite there. But it is now - too bad that i will move out in a year's time.

Then i realized that how much home, i mean the place you live in is connected to your sense of belonging. In the years that i lived in the 'wada' in Shaniwar Peth, that was my home - until we shifted to a temporary new apartment. The new apartment, for some reason, did not invite that sense of being 'home'. It wasnt until we shifted back to Shaniwar Peth - in a new apartment built over the same place - that i felt this was it. Curiously, architecture wise, or floor plan wise, i liked the temp. apt better - but it wasnt home. I would have thought that being there for three whole years will give me a sense of belonging there - but no, it wasnt quite that way.

And now after almost a year in my current apt in LA - it is home.


As they say - home is where your heart lives - mine lives in Shaniwar Peth, Pune and Westwood, Los Angeles - both places are now 'home'

No comments: