Monday, May 4, 2009

A short note on a scam

I was looking for an apartment in L.A. a couple of days back. For starters, i looked up a few offers on craigslist Los Angeles. I found this unbelievably great deal on one of the links. It was a 2b/2bth house for $1100 / month. (The usual is around $1600 / month in here). I did not believe the deal and scoffed at it as someone being either incredibly stupid / trying to rob people's money.

But, just to see what happens, i emailed the guy about the house. I get a reply from an address ending in *.fr (someone who is registered as a french guy). The emails says (in short)

'I am Richard McNeish, a voluntary missionary, who has transfered to west africa and my wife has transfered to UK. We want to give our place to someone trustworthy and who will treat the house as their own.. etc etc ... blah blah blah. Unfortunately we can not show you the house. So we will send you keys by DHL once we get the deposit of $500 and first month's rent of $1100. etc etc'

First of all, it sounds so fishy, that the first thing i did was a google search on 'richard mcneish'. The first hit i got was someone's blog entry and a comment on it. The comment says

'I want to know if anyone out there in Ilasamaja, Nigeria knows a man by the name of Richard McNeish, aka Pastor Mark Buckner aka Rev Daniel Tamayo. If you do, please its very imperative that you contact me at xxxxxxx@yahoo.com. This man, unfortunately, is a scam artist that likes to rob people's hard-earned money who serve the Lord. Please donot hesitate to leave me any information on this person who will be sought and prosecuted.'


Just an amazing experience which highlights
- How sneaky and kniving bastards people can be. Thieving people under the name of god.
- Amazimg power of internet and google.
- Also, amazing potential of internet to be used as a frauding tool.


Anyway. In short, that was the experience.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What an idiot! And not a decent conman either! He should change his name after every con!!! I'm not a overly religious but I find it appaling that someone should use people faith in god to scam them!!

NYCTextilegal said...

He's also trying to scam NY'ers by posting on Craigslist for an apartment in the Bronx. He uses the email address: antenehamanuel@yahoo.fr Any one who finds this behavior loathsome should blast his email address. The ad on Craigslist is at: http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/abo/1154502703.html

I've notified Craigslist but I want as many people to know what's going on. I had gotten this letter 2 years ago when I was looking for an apartment in Jersey City and it sounded off then. Now I know. There is a guy named Ian MCNEISH who does REAL missionary work and it's a shame his good name is being so abused.

deliciousspice27 said...

i just recieved an ad for pupies for adoption and they wanted 450.00 and this mans name is micheal hargraves and he supposed to be a pastor on a christian mission in africa and he.he wants me to send the money to a man named richard mcneish so he can set up the puppies to be flown here but iam sorta weirry about it if anyone has info on this such thing will someone let me know.you can just email me at deliciousspice27@aol.com. i would appreciate it.this is impairative